Wireless Access at ICERM
Brown has three wireless internet networks available on campus: Brown, Brown-Guest, and eduroam.
- Eduroam is available for all guests from participating Eduroam institutions. Please note that you will need to have eduroam set up from your home institution before arriving at ICERM in order to use eduroam here at Brown.
- The Brown secure wireless network is available to all long-term participants and visitors who are issued a Brown ID card. See the Brown section below for details.
If you are a short-term visitor or have not yet set up Brown on your device, you must connect using Brown-Guest.
- Using the device you’d like to connect, open the wireless settings.
- Choose the wireless network Brown-Guest from the list of available wireless networks.
- Your connection will last for 7 days, after which you will be prompted to agree to the terms again.
Please be aware that Brown’s guest wireless network is unencrypted and bandwidth is limited. You cannot access library resources and some other Brown resources using Brown-Guest, and some types of traffic are blocked. For these reasons, we recommend using eduroam or Brown if you have the option.
The Brown secure wireless network is available to all long-term visitors who are issued a Brown Sponsored ID. In order to connect to Brown, you must first activate your Brown ID and user account. Once your Brown ID and user account are active, follow these steps to install the certificates and connect to Brown.
- First, connect to Brown-Guest and visit https://wifi.brown.edu.
- Accept the terms of the user agreement.
- Follow the XpressConnect wizard steps to select and download the network profile and certificates for your specific device.
- Install the network profile and enter your Brown username and password.
- In most cases, your device should now automatically connect to Brown. If not, you should now be able to manually select and connect to Brown from your list of available wireless networks.
- In your device wireless settings, either remove Brown-Guest or set Brown as the highest priority so your device connects to the secure network by default.
Brown on Linux Laptops
Brown's XpressConnect client does not always work properly when configuring the secure Brown network on Linux. If you are unable to connect on Linux using the XpressConnect instructions above, then the Brown network must be manually configured in NetworkManager using the following settings:
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Brown
Security Type: WPA2-Enterprise
Encryption Type: AES (CCMP)
EAP Method: PEAP
Phase 2 (Inner Method): EAP-MSCHAPV2
Root CA Certificate(s): AddTrust_External_Root.crt
User Certificate: N/A
Anonymous Identity (Outer Identity): [Leave blank]
Username (Identity): [Your Brown Username]
Password: [Your Password]
Using the AddTrust_External_root.crt is the necessary change from the XpressConnect configuration to overcome the SSL verification problem. It should be located in one of the following directories:
If you have questions about these instructions or require further assistance, please contact the ICERM IT staff by dropping by the administrative offices or emailing email@example.com.